FINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
It is incredible to think how much has been learned over the past eight modules. The Final Paper Assignment is a cumulative review of all chapters studied in the textbook. Take time to reflect back over all of the information and knowledge you have gained throughout this course.
You will choose two of the following prompts to successfully complete your Final Paper Assignment. Each response needs to be at least 350 words. The prompt must be typed out in bold before the answer, and you must reference the textbook and/or presentations for each prompt using current APA formatting. Be sure to include your references on a separate page.
These are the prompts from which you may choose:
1. Pretend you are a teacher in a diverse classroom. Explain what you would do to encourage students to learn English but still not abandon their own cultures.
2. You were asked to address the Young Parents Club in your community. The club members would like you to present information about parents reading aloud to their children. As part of your presentation, you were also asked to share a list of do’s and don’ts for reading aloud. What information will you share with the parents? Discuss the do’s and don’ts list. Be sure to explain why you generated the list.
3. Most five-year-olds are not aware that what is said can be written, that written language is made up of sentences, or that reading involves directionality, attending to the space between words, and other conventions of print. Explain how you will develop the relationship between speech and print with beginning readers.
4. Write a letter to parents explaining at least four ways (two informal and two formal) of how you will assess your students. Justify your response.
5. A student in your class hesitates between words while she reads. You notice that she looks around the page while she hesitates. Discuss your intervention plans in order to develop reading fluency.
6. Name and explain three strategies you would use to help struggling readers develop vocabulary knowledge and concept development.
7. Why is it important to develop readers’ awareness of story structures? What do students need to know about the elements of a story? Explain at least three strategies for teaching story structures.
8. What is individualized instruction in reading? When should it be implemented? Explain how it can be carried out to meet diverse learners’ needs in a class of 25–30 students. Then give a specific example of a differentiated lesson plan that you will teach.
OVERVIEW OF FINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
It’s mind-boggling to consider how much has been learnt during the last eight modules. The Final Paper Assignment is a comprehensive review of all textbook chapters. Take some time to review all of the information and knowledge you have received throughout this course.
To successfully complete your Final Paper Assignment, you will select two of the following questions. Each response must be at least 350 words long. The prompt must be typed out in bold before the answer, and you must use current APA formatting to reference the textbook and/or presentations for each prompt. Remember to keep your references on a separate page.
You can choose from the following prompts: