REL 2032.E1 Life and Teachings of Jesus
L. F. Massey Ph.D.
Read the following sections of the gospels and answer the questions. Single spacing is acceptable. Maintain the numbering as given.
The Genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:1-17; Luke 3:23-38).
1. What is a genealogy and why was such a thing important in the ancient Hebrew culture? Why would these particular genealogies be important to the Christian message?
2. Explain the major differences between the genealogies of Luke and Matthew.
The Birth of John the Baptist (Luke 1:5-25, 36, 57-80).
3. Who were the parents of John the Baptist? Discuss the sign given to John’s father.
4. How are Mary and Elizabeth related? Summarize how they viewed their special roles in the unfolding work of God.
5. Summarize Zechariah’s prophecy of John.
The Birth and Childhood of Jesus (Matthew 1:18-2:23; Luke 2:1-52).
6. What happened, according to these stories, that supports a belief in the virgin birth of Jesus?
7. Why did Mary and Joseph travel to Bethlehem?
8. Who were the magi in Matthew’s narrative? Why did they come? How did they find Jesus?
9. Summarize the announcement of Jesus’ birth to the shepherds.
10. How old was Jesus when he was named, and what rites and rituals were performed on than occasion?
11. Who was Simeon and what did he say?
12. Describe the prophetess who recognized the child.
13. Why did Joseph take Mary and Jesus to Egypt?
14. Summarize what happened when Jesus was twelve.
Jesus and John the Baptist (Matthew 3:1-12; Mark 1:1-11; Luke 3:1-22; John 1:29-34).
15. What prophetic words describe John’s ministry?
16. How old was Jesus when he was baptized? How does Luke fix the date of the beginning of Jesus’ ministry?
17. In what terms did John speak of the coming Messiah?
18. How did John describe Jesus as he saw him approaching?
19. What was his response when Jesus asked to be baptized?
20. How did John recognize Jesus as truly the Messiah?
Temptation of Jesus (Matthew 4:1-11; Mark 1:12-13; Luke 4:1-13).
21. Summarize the three ways Jesus was tempted by Satan.
Rejection at Nazareth (Matthew 13:54-58; Luke 4:16-30).
22. What scripture did Jesus read in the synagogue and what did he say about it?
23. How did the people respond to him? What did he say about it?
Calling Disciples (John 1:35-48; Matthew 4:18-22; Mark 1:16-20).
24. Describe how Nathaniel was brought to Jesus?
25. Describe how four fishermen left their nets to follow Jesus.
26. Give the meaning of Cephas, and how did Simon come to be called that?
Early Miracles and Ministry (John 2:1-12; 3:1-21; 4:1-54; Luke 5:1-11).
27. What was Jesus’ first miracle and where did it occur? Summarize that event.
28. Summarize the discussion between Jesus and Nicodemus.
29. Explain Jesus’ reference to Moses lifting up the brass serpent.
30. Cite two reasons for Jesus leaving Judea.
31. Why did Herod Antipas imprison John the Baptist? Do research to determine the exact location of the prison.
32. Summarize the conversation Jesus had with the woman of Samaria.
33. What convinced many Samaritans that Jesus was the Savior of the world?
34. How did Jesus use the miraculous catch of fish to explain his disciples’ mission?
Beginning the Great Galilean Ministry (Mark 1:14-45; John 4:46-54).
35. Tell about Jesus healing the son of the nobleman of Capernaum.
36. What miracle did Jesus perform in the synagogue of Capernaum on the Sabbath day?
37. What did people say in response to the many people Jesus healed from sickness and demon-possession?
38. Why did he stop the devils (demons) from speaking?
39. State the two charges of Jesus to the man who had been healed of leprosy.
40. What happened when news of the healing became known?
Back in Capernaum (Mark 2:1-22).
41. Why did the four men bearing a palsied man uncover the roof of the house where Jesus was?
42. What accusation did the scribes and Pharisees make and why?
43. In this event, how did Jesus prove that He had power to forgive sins?
44. Who was Matthew, and what happened at a feast in his house?
Answering Critics (Matthew 12:3-14).
45. When Jesus’ disciples plucked grain on the Sabbath, what two examples did Jesus cite from the Hebrew Scriptures, and why?
46. How did Jesus assert His authority over the Sabbath?
47. Before healing the man with the withered hand, what did He say to the Pharisees?
Jesus Chooses Twelve (Mark 3:16-19; Luke 6:13-16).
48. List the Chosen Twelve. Find other names, and/or identifying descriptions for each one.
-research paper writing service