Corporate Social Responsibility in the News (10%) Winter 2022
Assignment overview: For this assignment, you will find a news article about an organization that is demonstrating their responsibility to their shareholders and stakeholders through their actions. Using the information provided below, you will choose a type of corporate social responsibility that appeals to you and find a news article or news segment (video) that highlights a company that is leading with purpose and driving change. You will read the article or watch the news segment, summarize its content and answer the corresponding assignment questions. You will also be required to present this information to the class on your chosen date. Please note two things:
1. Once a company has been reported upon by one student, no other student can feature that company in their report.
2. The news article or news segment (video) must be no older than one month from your scheduled presentation date.
Your professor will provide you with a choice of possible presentation dates. Once you have committed to that date, you may not be able to choose another – presentation dates are subject to availability – choose quickly and choose wisely.
Assignment details: Please read the information below very carefully. If unsure about any aspect or requirement, please reach out to your professor for assistance. I wrote the assignment, so I can help!
Step 1: Choose your presentation date – Go to Moodle and choose your date for presentation. You can find this resource under the section titled: Assessments.
Step 2: Understand CSR – Read about types of corporate social responsibility and how organizations use them to lead with purpose and make change in the world. Don’t skip this step! To assist you in understanding how a company would demonstrate corporate social responsibility, I have included additional information on this Google doc – you have been provided permission to view it – click here to read this document carefully. It will help you. Once the document has been read, choose the type of corporate social responsibility that most interests you – environmental responsibility, ethical responsibility or economic responsibility. This is the basis of what you will begin to search for in Step 3.
Step 3: Find an article to report on – Using environmental, ethical or economic responsibility as a search term, find and select a news article or news segment (video) about the topic that interests you. Your choice of news article or news segment must meet the following criteria:
1. It must involve a company that is leading with purpose or driving change – you are looking for a positive story of a company that is doing good in this area while continuing to do well financially. It is important that the company you choose is an example of an organization demonstrating responsibility in this area.
2. The news article or news segment (video) must be no older than one month (30 days) from your scheduled presentation date.
3. The selected article or video segment must come from an accredited news source. What makes a news source trustworthy? Click here to find out. Simply copying from the organization’s website is not enough. Articles must be properly cited using APA format. To help you with that, please find a free APA citation generator at the end of this assignment outline.
Once a company has been reported upon or featured by a student, no other student can report upon it. To help with this, your professor will provide you with a running list of companies who have already been covered in this assignment. Find that document here.
How do I find an article? Finding a news article is easy. You can use any of the sample sites listed below – or – one of your own. Remember that it must be an accredited news source. If you are unsure, check with your professor. Here are a few accredited sources to get you started:
• Global News (Canada) Corporate Social Responsibility: https://globalnews.ca/tag/corporate-social-responsibility/
• CTV News: https://www.ctvnews.ca/
• CSRWire.com: https://www.csrwire.com/press_releases
• The Economic Time (India): https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/corporate-social-responsibility
Step 4: Summarize what you’ve learned – Write a summary about the article that you have read or the video you have watched. Your summary must be between 400 – 600 words – no more, no less. This summary must be written in your own words and it must be complete. You may use quotes from the article sparingly. It is important that your report does not contain entire paragraphs full of quotes – these are not your own words. All sources of information must be properly cited, in APA format without exception.
For your convenience, please use this free APA citation generator to properly cite your sources for this assignment. https://www.scribbr.com/apa-citation-generator/
Step 5: Answer questions – Provide complete answers to the following questions as they pertain to your news article or news segment (video):
1. What type of corporate social responsibility is being addressed in this article? Provide specifics of the circumstances of the article.
2. What are the ethical implications of the company or organization’s actions? For example, is the company making a decision that could positively or negatively affect others either directly or indirectly? If so, explain how.
3. Who are the stakeholders in this situation? What influence do they hold over the organization? What influence do they hold over other stakeholders? What could be the outcomes of the organization ignoring their concerns?
4. How did the company choose to engage with their stakeholders to demonstrate their corporate social responsibility? Provide details.
5. What are the actual or expected outcomes of this situation?
Step 5: Present and Submission – Students will present their findings to the class on the date they have chosen to present. Your presentation should be between 5-7 minutes in length and should include:
• A clear identification of the type of corporate social responsibility you are presenting
• A summary of your news article or news segment (video)
• An identification of the key stakeholders involved and how they are affected by the company’s decisions
• An overview of the actual or expected outcomes of this situation
Please note that you are required to upload your report for your presentation to Moodle before your presentation takes place.
Missed presentations will result in a zero grade for this assignment. Presentations without written submissions will be graded accordingly.
This assignment is valued at 10% of your final grade. Decide for yourself how much time and effort you wish to put into this assignment and act accordingly. See the grading rubric below:
To achieve a passing grade (up to 5/10), submit an assignment that: 1 Demonstrates understanding of the chosen CSR focus for presentation
2 Finds and presents an article from a credible news source. Summary provided meets the requirements of the assignment.
4 All questions related to the assignment are answered. Assignment is presented and submitted by deadline.
To achieve a solid grade (up to 8/10), add the following:
All questions related to the assignment are answered clearly and the student presents the information to the class in a clear, concise manner.
References are included in APA citation format where applicable. Interpretations are accurate, clear and demonstrate understanding of CSR concepts. Student presents to class with confidence.
To achieve an exceptional grade (up to 10/10) add the following:
8 The overall submission and presentation demonstrate evidence of explanation, discovery and understanding that extends beyond the obvious. There is clear evidence that you engaged in additional research and took the assignment seriously. Your presentation is engaging and informative and you handle questions with confidence.