Journal Article Review Assignment Instructions
As an educator, it is important to remain current on research in your chosen field. One way to stay up-to-date is to review professional journals. This requires going beyond just reading to critiquing and forming an opinion of the information presented. During this course, you will complete two journal article reviews focusing on topics related to information in the module readings. In reviewing the articles, you will not only summarize what is said but you will also determine the author’s intended purpose, examine the evidence presented, and come to a conclusion regarding the effectiveness of the author in presenting their proposition and the application of the results to teaching students with intellectual disabilities.
You will complete two Journal Article Reviews during this course. For each review, you will search for an article on a topic related to the week’s assigned reading. You may choose your article from any of the professional journals of special education found through the online Jerry Falwell Library.
Each article you choose must be current (written within the last five years) and related to students with special needs and the topics addressed in the week’s assigned readings. Once you locate an article, read it through at least twice. It may take multiple readings to obtain a full understanding.
When composing each review, use a professional writing style. The paper needs to be at least two pages long, double-spaced, and written in Times New Roman, 12-point font. It should follow the format described below.
1. Write the article reference at the top of the review in current APA format. A title page is not needed.
2. Write a summary of the article. Include the purpose, how any research was conducted, the results, and any other pertinent information. The length of the summary should be 1-3 paragraphs, depending on the length of the article.
3. Critique the article by discussing the implication of the results of the study, or the information presented. Express your opinion of the article and research findings. The critique should be 1-2 paragraphs.
4. In the final paragraph of the review, discuss how the author could expand on the results, and what the information means in the big picture. Include what the focus should be for future related research.
5. Be sure to cite any direct quotes or paraphrases from the article using current APA format. If sources other than the chosen article are cited in the critique, a references page should be included.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
Instructions for the Journal Article Review Assignment
It is critical to stay current on research in your chosen profession as an instructor. Reviewing professional journals is one approach to keep current. This needs more than just reading; it also necessitates critiquing and creating an opinion about the material offered. Throughout this course, you will perform two journal article evaluations on topics relating to the module readings. In reviewing the articles, you will not only summarize what is said but you will also determine the author’s intended purpose, examine the evidence presented, and come to a conclusion regarding the effectiveness of the author in presenting their proposition and the application of the results to teaching students with intellectual disabilities.
You will complete