GEOLOGY 101 Outside Assignment 4 Geological Resources
Outside Assignment 4 is due May 6. You must use the FORM below to submit your work by downloading the WORD file, filling it in and submitting it electronically.
5. 20 points. Use the internet to discover maps and websites that provide geologic information from within the state to worldwide. Write responses using the form below (Word file), one typewritten page or less.
1. 5 pts. U.S. Geologic Survey (USGS) provides topography maps of the United States. You can find a topographic map (land surface elevation) of anywhere in the US and its territories at: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer
2. 5 pts. The USGS provides geologic maps of the nation and especially national parks. You can find geologic maps of locations in the US at: Park Maps – Geology (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)
3. 5 pts. The USGS provides real time information on volcanoes in the US and around the world. You can find the information at: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/index.html
4. 5 pts. The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Weather Service provides data and predictions river stages. You can find river stage information for anywhere in the US. Go to the website and find the river stage for an area of interest. https://water.weather.gov/ahps/
FORM FOR GEOLOGY 101 OUTSIDE ASSIGNMENT 5
Assignment: Internet Sources for Geologic Information
1. (5pts) Find a topographic map of an area that interests you:
What is the name (quadrangle) of the topographic map that you downloaded?
What is the approximate highest and lowest elevation of the area in the map?
2. (5pts) Find a geological map:
What are the general ages of rocks and the general rock types of this area?
Are the geologic strata flat and undeformed or can you identify a structure on the map?
3. (5pts) Go to the USGS Volcanoes page and find an active volcano.
What is the name of the volcano?
Briefly describe the past or predicted activity?
4. (5pts) Go to the Mississippi River stage location for Baton Rouge.
What is the present stage?
What is the predicted future highest stage?